Finally got my cabinet made, and had a go with the handheld unit (9V 12-15Kv unit from FLOC-King UK)
I used a "Bob's" 30min epoxy, diluted with a touch of PVC/ABS cleaner to give me time for my first efforts
The issues were that I had to keep the head close to the hopper mesh for a reasonable rate of transfer, and it still seemed to take an age (4-5min?) to get a head completely coated.
The next issue was that the (mostly) yellow flock seemed to just drop into the cabinet rather than transfer. This is the mix I made:
But this is what actually adhered from the mix
Any thoughts on what I'm doing or not doing properly? Epoxy to thick, too thin? Insufficient output voltage? Flock needs neutralizing? I'm perplexed.
I'm thinking of attaching a 12VDC power supply instead of a 9V battery, the battery seemed to die very quickly in use. I assume that will bump the Output voltage, or at the very least keep it at it's max output.
EDIT: Daylight piuc of this blend - I actually like it, but it's not blonde
Last Edit: Jan 21, 2018 23:07:04 GMT -5 by lookforjoe
Post by lookforjoe on Jan 21, 2018 23:04:20 GMT -5
Did another batch with a 12VDC adaptor instead of the (9v) battery, and a slightly different mix of flock I made:
seems like this blend attaches better - it's the bright yellow that doesn't seem to want to stick. I need to check which vendor it came from. It's always seems to separate out at the bottom of the hopper/on the electrode - I added some of it to my brown mix also.
Last Edit: Jan 21, 2018 23:07:39 GMT -5 by lookforjoe
Post by lookforjoe on Jan 23, 2018 22:28:17 GMT -5
After conversing with Ray (many thanks) I tried increasing the humidity in the work space - ran a humidifier & when the hygrometer indicated it was around 50% (felt like way more), I had a go with the Pantone Yellow mix again. Now, it stuck. I even wafted the epoxied heads in the moisture vent to see if that made any difference.
I'd say it was a success - except that now they're TOO yellow
compared to vintage AM
This CC joe head I also did seems about the closest
So now I know, the handheld can do the Blondes, just needs more moisture to compensate for the weaker voltage. Once my 20Kv units arrive, I put one in the cabinet I made.
This is what I've done the past few afternoons
Last Edit: Jan 23, 2018 22:46:13 GMT -5 by lookforjoe